Sunday, November 1, 2015

MAINE

Tate, Ryder, Choice, Juliann, and Shiloh
Of all the 50 states in our country, there were two that I was most looking forward to seeing on this trip...Alaska and MAINE.  I am now lucky to say that I have visited them both.  Due to the time of year that we visited these states, our time in Maine was even colder than our time in Alaska.  Getting off the bus here in Maine was the coldest day of the trip thus far.

We began our day at the Nubble Lighthouse in York.  This is one of those landmarks that I have thought of time and time again, "what would it be like to see that in person?"  When you wind up having the opportunity to go to places that fit into that category, everything seems a little more real;  a little more tangible.  

Access is not allowed onto the island where the lighthouse stands, so this is as close as I could get.  Despite the 40 degree winds, we made the most of our time there. 
Juliann
Choice, Ryder, Tate, Juliann, and Shiloh
The kids climbed all over the boulders along the shoreline.  Jumping from one rock formation to another would have kept them happy all day.  I'm glad we had other places to go that required them to get into the bus and, consequently, warm up a tad.  The thought never even crossed my mind when packing on a Spring day in Arizona, to bring along winter jackets.

Tate and Shiloh
Rusty and Ryder
Rusty
Ryder
Shiloh, Tate, and Ryder
Nubble Lighthouse
Choice, Rusty, and Ryder
Shiloh and Tate
Ryder and Choice
Rusty, Choice, Tate, Ryder, Juliann, and Shiloh
Choice, Tate, Ryder, Juliann, and Shiloh
Juliann
Shiloh, Ryder, Choice, and Tate
Choice
Juliann
Choice and Tate
Nubble Lighthouse
Nubble Lighthouse
Tate, Ryder, Choice, Juliann, and Shiloh
Shiloh and Tate
Choice
Our time in York was brief as we had a stop to make at the Kennebunk Fire & Rescue Headquarters.
York
Juliann
The doors were locked when we arrived, so only Ryder and I hopped out in the cold to leave a note and take a photo.  The others observed from the bus.  Coming upon a fire station always brings me feelings of familiarity and belonging.  There is no exception whether I'm in Arizona, Maine, or anywhere in between. There are great people in Maine spreading the better.

Kennebunk Fire Rescue Headquarters - Ryder and Juliann
Kennebunk Fire Rescue Headquarters - Ryder and Juliann
Kennebunk Fire Rescue Headquarters - Ryder and Juliann
Ryder and Juliann
Ryder and Juliann
Our time in Maine was brief.  We did a little more exploring in Kennebunkport.  Despite the biting cold, we had a marvelous day.

Kennebunkport, ME

Ryder, Shiloh, Juliann, Choice, and Tate
Be Better Bus in Kennebunkport, Maine
At one point we decided to park the bus and get out.  For no other purpose than to simply BE.  Take a breath of fresh air, slow down for a moment.  We all used that time to do what felt right to us.

Ryder, Tate, Choice, Juliann, and Shiloh
Ryder, Tate, Juliann, Shiloh, and Choice
Choice, Shiloh, Juliann, Tate, and Ryder
Ryder, Juliann, Shiloh, and Tate
Kennebunkport, Maine
Ryder, Choice, Juliann, Shiloh, and Tate
The kids played in the leaves and collected some to bring back with us.  This has been a favorite hobby for us in the Northeast.
  
Shiloh
Tate
Tate
Shiloh
Choice
They also worked on some of their best dance moves. 

Shiloh, Choice, and Tate
Shiloh
Tate
Choice, Tate, and Shiloh
Choice
Jason spent a few moments strumming the guitar strings.  As a brilliant singer/songwriter he has sacrificed his energy and time for music to help us with this endeavor.  He is truly a special guy and understands what it means to put others first for the betterment of the world around him.  No words can do justice for the gratitude we feel for him; but we sure try our best.

Jason
Jason
Jason
Jason
As for me...
Juliann
I was still.

Juliann
Kennebunkport was an amazing town.  It happens to be the hometown of the Bush family.  Before heading that way to check it out, we spent some time downtown. 

...Just "hanging" out...

Choice
Every nook and cranny was dowsed with character and charm.  It was a gentle invitation to celebrate the little things that make you smile.  For me, this canal alley did the trick.

Juliann
Tate, Ryder, and Choice
As did this open deck, simplistically furnished with only two turquoise chairs.

Jason and Juliann

Jason and Juliann
The kids had a ball window shopping.  Choice got a bit "crabby" however when I didn't purchase these lobster slippers for him.

Choice
Unbeknownst to me, however, Jason had purchased these amazingly cozy new mittens and beanie. 
Juliann
Juliann and Rusty

The kids were not leaving Maine empty handed.  They each selected a small souvenir from the local toy shop.  We ventured directly from there over to this lock bridge to check it out.

Lock Bridge

Choice, Ryder, Shiloh, Juliann, and Tate
Juliann
While Shiloh was looking over the edge of the bridge, she accidentally dropped her new stuffed puppy overboard. Immediate hysterics came over her as she looked pitifully through the railing of the bridge.  Her puppy was stuck in the rocks near the water. I was all geared up to have a parenting moment where she and I discussed lessons learned the hard way, when I spotted Ryder in his heroic moment.

He witnessed Shiloh's desperate plea and took it upon himself to man a rescue operation:
Mission Save The Puppy.



Ryder
Ryder
Mission successful.  Atta boy Ryder!

All of this hard work and stress caused us to work up an appetite.  The only suitable option for dining during your first time in Maine is fresh lobster. 

I didn't realize prior to ordering the lobster that I would be working so hard for my lunch.  I'd worked up a sweat by the time I cracked it all open and dug the meat out. 

Juliann and Sebastian 
Juliann and Sebastian
Jason
The kids were all fascinated, or disgusted, by the entire process. I was very impressed that they each agreed to at least touch it.  When presented with something unfamiliar and new, Tate always says, "okay, I'll try it".  He even ordered lobster off of the kids menu for his lunch.  However, he never actually took a bite. :-/

Tate, Juliann, and Choice
I thanked the chef on our way out for a delightful lunch.

Juliann and "the chef"
Before leaving Kennebunkport we drove along the coastline where the Bush family home is located.  We not only saw their home but an array of the most incredible homes I have ever seen.  The gorgeous sunset prompted our last series of photos in Maine...

Jason


Jason
Juliann
The Bush home in Kennebunkport, ME



Maine takes the cake for being one of the most beautiful places in the country.  All of the scenic splendor in the world, however,  cannot compare to the value of the company you share.  The light in my children's faces as they ran down the streets was without question the most beautiful sight I saw today.  Loving them, learning from them, growing with them, and celebrating them is the greatest joy in my life.  I am so blessed to have them call me "Mom".

Ryder, Tate, Choice, Shiloh, and Juliann
Tate, Ryder, Juliann, Shiloh, and Choice
Ryder Bug, Shy, Tater Tot, and Choicey...

thank you for lighting up my life and teaching me the value of loving without limits.  There is no length I would not go to, mountain I would not climb, or obstacle I would not conquer to be there for you.  Daddy gave his life loving you, I promise to live mine doing the same.  Keep being strong.  Rely on your faith, creativity, and imagination.  Never lose your desire to bring others happiness.  Serve your fellowman as so many have served you.  The future lies within you.  Create with it what will uplift your soul and afford you bliss.   Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me reason to do all of these things for myself.  I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my babies you'll be...

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful, amazing memories you are giving these 4. Memories that they will cherish when they look back at them as adults. Love reading your posts and feeling like we're right there with you all. Be safe!!!

    ReplyDelete