Monday, May 4, 2015

Journey from Nebraska to South Dakota

Before we left the state of Nebraska, there was a must-see item on my agenda.  This blew my mind!  Hopefully, when my kids are a little older, and they have an actual teacher other than me to teach them geography and history, they will learn about Stonehenge and appreciate this place a little more.  That being said...check out this awesome tourist attraction...

CARHENGE in Alliance Nebraska



Ryder, Choice, Juliann, Shiloh, and Tate


Ryder, Morghen, Shiloh, Choice, and Tate



Shiloh, and Juliann
An opportunity even arose for us to leave our mark on this state before we left.  Each kid wrote their name (although Choice's looked more like a spider web), and I wrote Andrew's name on the flag.


Tate, Choice, Shiloh, and Ryder



Juliann and Morghen
 We traveled across the sate from Alliance NE to Hastings NE where we enjoyed another landmark on our journey. 

THE KOOL-AID MUSEUM...





Ryder, Choice, Tate, and Shiloh

I didn't have the heart to tell my kids about inflation and how times have changed...but boy, were they getting ripped off.


Tate, Ryder, Shiloh, Choice, and Juliann

Choice, Ryder, Shiloh, and Tate

 
Ryder, Shiloh, Choice, and Tate

 Perhaps Choice knew he was being underpaid  because he was certainly a feisty little one!
Choice and Juliann
We spent the night in Hastings NE and woke up early this morning to start our trek to South Dakota.


Shiloh, Tate, Ryder, Choice, and Juliann

After this long on the road with four little kids, I was praying for Jesus to take the wheel and allow me a little reprieve.  Thank goodness the sign said God only lived 5 miles away...

Choice, Juliann, Tate, Shiloh, and Ryder
He apparently drove us right toward a Pro-Life town where Choice may grow up to be the mayor.  He received his name after a difficult pregnancy in which the doctors advised us he had no chance of survival.  They suggested we abort the pregnancy at 17 weeks gestation.  At that time, Andrew and I knew that we didn't want to go that route, and decided that not only were we going to move forward with the pregnancy regardless of the frightening projected outcome, but that we would also name our little guy "Choice".  Miraculously, he was born a perfectly healthy baby, two months early, on his Daddy's 28th birthday.  Now we know, God had a plan for Choice and for Andrew all along.

He is such a blessing and a perfect addition to our family.


Choice and Juliann


Choice
The morals, values, and patriotism were apparent everywhere we drove today.  As we drove by this sign, my mind reflected on Andrew's older brother T.J. who is an member of the U.S. Army.  God bless you T.J. and all others who currently serve, or have served our county so we may enjoy our freedom.


Juliann
We made it to South Dakota...a state I have never been to before now.  This will not be the only time we are in South Dakota during this trip, and the next visit will provide the route whereby we will see the infamous Mount Rushmore.  That will be an amazing experience...one we will have to wait for.


Choice, Juliann, Shiloh, Ryder, and Tate

Choice, Juliann, Shiloh, Ryder, and Tate
This trip to South Dakota was routed so we could visit a donor in Sioux Falls.  Unfortunately, we received word that they recently moved to Arizona.  Although we weren't able to touch base with them today, we will make sure we pay them a visit when we make it back to our home state.  To fill the remaining hours in our day today, the kids wanted to go swimming.  So, that's what we did. 

Juliann and Shiloh
Tate
Ryder
Morghen and Choice
Morghen and Juliann
Ryder
Morghen and Choice
Choice
Choice and Juliann
Tate and Juliann
Choice, Juliann, Ryder, and Shiloh
Choice, Juliann, and Shiloh
Shiloh and Ryder
Ryder, Tate, and Juliann
Morghen, Shiloh, and Tate
Choice, Tate, Juliann, Ryder, and Shiloh
Reflecting upon the events of today I was lost in a self-provoked thought process.  Why do things work out the way that they do?  Why don't they work out the way that we wish they would sometimes?  And...why do we ask why? 

Andrew taught me a great lesson during his ups and downs on his spiritual journey in life.  I had always been someone that thought I had it all figured out.  Even if deep down I wasn't certain about some deep meaningful life quandary, I would act confident in my stance...whatever that may be.  Andrew was much more humble and honest than I was in this way.  He would tell me that there were some things that he didn't know the answers to and that he thought it was better that way.  So long as he was doing good to his fellow man and loving and serving God, he didn't have to answer every question.  God knows all and He is in control.  If that is so...we have no reason to fear.  Nor do we have a reason to question when life gets difficult.  Drag our feet, perhaps at times.  Pout because it isn't fair, maybe. (I certainly have), but not question.  "Why me" is not a question we should ask God, but rather "Why not me" is a question we should ask ourselves.

This world is made up of unbelievable human beings everywhere we turn.  I have met many along this journey so far and anticipate many more life-changing visits yet to be had.  I am no better than anyone else.  I am no more guaranteed an easy road than the gentleman holding  the cardboard sign on the street beside our hotel tonight.  We all have hard times.  We all have high moments.  There is cause to celebrate life even if all we can find positive in the moment is that we are alive to be pondering the question.  To those who have already punched their time card in this life, wonderful men and women like my Andrew called home far too early, we owe it to them to stop wallowing in self-pity.  We need to get out there and buoy up our fellow man who may feel too weak to carry their burdens alone.  I have been there...and TRUST ME...I didn't do it alone.  All of these people whom I am traveling to meet, and many more whom I may never see, helped to strengthen me in my weakness and made certain that I never felt less valuable or less loved because of my circumstance.

I have come to appreciate the overused cliché...when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Please check out this song by clicking on the link below and remember to SPREAD THE BETTER!

https://youtu.be/xS0uS8Tfyt4

Tate and Choice
Goodnight from the Ashcraft Be Better Brigade.  Hugs to all!


6 comments:

  1. This trip seems so healing for you. I love it - I love your writing. You and those little ones (Morgan too) are amazing. Miss you - squeezes for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha love the lemonade song!

    Love to see the sun rays on you once again Juliann! So beautiful! What a great journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about your family a great deal lately. I am happy to see that this beautiful journey is helping you to heal. I feel blessed that I had the opportunity of getting to know you and your family, even if it was brief. I pray for you all every day, and hope that you have safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make lemonade <3 <3

    ReplyDelete