Saturday, May 9, 2015

Leawood and Olathe KANSAS

 
Another state came and went quickly today.  We only had a sneak peak of Missouri on our way to Kansas but will return at a later time on our trip.
 
Tate, Ryder, Shiloh, Choice, and Juliann
We stopped along the drive for a snack and a chance for the kids to stretch their legs.  Choice never misses an opportunity to make a complete mess of himself.  Ice-cream was an easier clean up than the throw-up he blessed us with in the car yesterday.

Choice
It's a good thing he's learning to hitchhike so he'll be able to get home if we can't take his craziness any longer.  Perhaps he aught to learn where his thumb is first though.
Choice and Juliann

We made it to Kansas.  This state brought more pleasant and unexpected surprises.  Just as I'd imagined, Kansas was extraordinarily flat.  However, it was green and beautiful.  When the route has allowed for it, we've elected to explore the back roads of these country states rather than driving only on freeways.  This has allowed for an appreciation of the unique qualities each state offers as well as a small cultural lesson for these Arizona kids. 

Morghen, Tate, Ryder, Shiloh, Choice, and Juliann

Although we seemed to take a million potty breaks along the way, we eventually did make it to our destination.

Ryder, Choice, Tate, Shiloh, and Juliann
 With our game faces on...


We had two stops in Kansas to make.  The first was to the Olathe (Oh-lay-thuh) Fire Department in Olathe Kansas.  We had a great visit with the shift of fireman who were working today.  They welcomed our visit and offered tours of their fire trucks.  They even gave each of the kids a pencil, sticker, and card with their department name on it.  


Choice was mesmerized by the fire engines.  As a result, it took some real convincing and manhandling to get him out of there.



 We had a wonderful visit with the firefighters in Olathe.  They inquired about where the next stop on our journey is taking us.  When we told them we are heading to Oklahoma City they looked very concerned.  "You know, they had a bad tornado there yesterday and are supposed to have another one tomorrow".  Another member of the crew added, "If you go to Oklahoma, I recommend you get in and get out as quickly as you can". 
Well...awesome.
 
Tate, Ryder, Choice, Juliann, and Shiloh with the Olathe Firefighters
Before we go head on with Mother Nature, we had one more stop to make in Kansas.  This was another household that I hadn't gotten ahold of ahead of time.  A sweet lady by the name of Patricia in Leawood Kansas sent a donation to the families of the 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots after the Yarnell Hill Fire.  We stopped by her home with Be Better Bands and thank you cards.  Her husband greeted us and expressed his appreciation to Andrew and the rest of his crew for their ultimate sacrifice.  I immediately felt connected to this lovely family and could tell that they were warm and genuine people with pure hearts.

Patricia was overjoyed that we stopped by.  She explained that they live half of the year in Arizona which connected them to the tragedy that befell the crew.  She was humble and gracious, kind and endearing, a true warrior for good.  It was an honor to make this connection today.  It will be one that I will not soon forget.

On our way out of Kansas, we stopped by the Dinosaur Museum.  It didn't matter that these were fossils and remnants from 200 million years ago, the kids buckled at the knees in fear that they were in real danger.

Shiloh, Ryder, Choice, Juliann, and Tate

Ryder

Ryder, Morghen, Juliann, and Choice

 We had an incredible time with the interactive programs for kids relating to the various dinosaurs.  They even had a chance to design their own dinosaur to fly around the big screen in the museum.  Such a fun place for a family to spend the day.

Ryder, Tate, Choice, and Shiloh

Did I mention how beautiful the landscape was in this part of Kansas?  I was so blown away by the natural beauty out the window that we ended up pulling over into a lush riverbed to splash around and take some pictures of the scenery.

Tate, Juliann, Ryder, Shiloh, Morghen, and Choice
Morghen, Tate, Shiloh, Choice, Ryder, and Juliann

Shiloh

Juliann
 We got in a little play time to tucker the kids out before the long drive.

Choice and Juliann

Shiloh and Tate

Shiloh, Ryder, Tate, and Choice

 

Tate


While the kids were playing at the playground, I found myself lost in thought.  My eyes wondered to the plush greenery.  I was enraptured by the beauty all around me and the calming breeze on my face.  This was one of God's masterpieces.  Serenity. Bliss. 

Then I readjusted my focus on a much closer view.  There were swarms of gnats all around me.  Flying together in mindless rotations polluting the view that was previously pristine in my eyes.  Not only did I lose the feeling of calmness and serenity, but I was eager to move to a different location to avoid the pests that were lurking in the air.

So, what changed?  How could something go from glorious to irritating in a matter of moments?  This lesson struck me as I sat in the Kansas spring today.  The only thing that changed was my focus.  Where I chose to place my attention was a direct indicator of my mood and the experience that I took away from this adventure.  The choice was all mine.  I could walk away from here with memories of the beauty and peace found within this riverbed.  Or, I could choose to remember the annoyance of the gnats and chalk the entire morning up to a waste of time and an irritation.

How many times in my life have I made the choice to have a negative experience?  Too often do we go into a situation with a predetermination that we will not enjoy ourselves?  I was humbled today to recognize that it is imperative to not allow our circumstances to dictate our attitude.  Difficult things may come our way...there will be storms in life...but that doesn't mean we can't decide to dance in the rain.  These two years, culminating in this grand journey have shown me that I get to choose whether or not I will be happy.  No circumstance has power over my attitude.  For today, I will choose to focus on the beauty by looking past the pollution.

Juliann
Juliann
Perhaps I thought the kids would naturally pick up on this same attitude so I took them to eat sushi for dinner.  I was hoping they would look past the unfamiliar seaweed and rice wrapping and eat this delicious meal.  Hahaha...they were good sports, but for sushi, they will need to acquire a more mature appetite.

Ryder

Ryder

Shiloh

 

Shiloh


Ryder

Ryder

Tate

Shiloh




Choice
So long Kansas...

 


Now the questions are:
1. Do I let Choice drive from here?
 
Choice


2. Do we head to tornado valley??






TO BE CONTINUED...

6 comments:

  1. I love this! I so needed to hear about making choices on how to look past the negative aspects of life because it is so easy to get caught in the negative. You are an inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I so needed to hear about making choices on how to look past the negative aspects of life because it is so easy to get caught in the negative. You are an inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a time when you made those same faces eating sushi my friend.... Seems like a lifetime ago. Miss you, love you, can't wait for your adventure to bring you by SLC. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a time when you made those same faces eating sushi my friend.... Seems like a lifetime ago. Miss you, love you, can't wait for your adventure to bring you by SLC. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love your outlook! Incredible time my friends- be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great post - love the reminder to look at the beauty right in front of us and to dance in the rain. Juliann you are a gem!

    ReplyDelete